Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Touch the Monolith


Via Charles Stross: last month, a new group called the Order of Cosmic Engineers released a prospectus in which they lay out their plan to remake our universe in Singular terms, that is, optimistically, and with a mind to create a "magical universe." Reading as I am the first book in Iain Banks's Culture series, I can't help but feel this is how it all started. I consider their aims mostly in line with my own hopes for the human species, and I do think that such groups will be necessary to complete such lofty goals, but I am reluctant to see it birthed here in such an obviously self-righteous fashion. Their own claims to be an "UNreligion" notwithstanding, I cannot see how they will avoid the worst problems of other religious groups: insularity, echo chambers, excessive optimism, and pot-luck dinners. Still, I'm sure there are some very interesting people involved, and I'd love to pick their brains.

Also on my mind lately, the Nation of Gods and Earths, another group bent on the Universal Uplift of Man, some of whose ideals I agree with, but which I will not join.

No comments: