Sunday, November 11, 2007

You put this on your face.


This is a new helmet they are going to use to kill people with but it is really quite amazing. The helmet works by placing several cameras on the outside of a jet. The video is then fed into a real time visual display of the entire panoramic view around the plane. So instead of looking down and seeing mostly cockpit, the pilot will be able to see the entire sky around him and the ground below.
It can also feed vital flight and combat data onto the display, and the cameras are infrared equipped to handle even the darkest of midnight sorties.
At this point, the real life fighter pilots are playing video games right there in the middle of the war. That is what i call next gen.

via Daily Mail

2 comments:

Yano Solong: Reality Architect said...

I read an article when the Iraq war II began that was about tank drivers. Those guys really have a videogame perspective of the war. I think the stuff that was in Fahrenheit 9/11 about them also really stuck in my head. I would argue that pilots are much the same, whether they are viewing the outside or inside of the plane. Remember when I used to play Chuck Yeager's flightsim all the time? I thought about signing up for the Air Force for that reason.

Vision von Braun: Necromancer de Futuro said...

I've always been into flight simulators. From that realistic cessna flight simulator and LHX on PC to TOP GUN for Nintendo to some newer ones. They should make a new realistic flight simulator for Xbox 360. I guess flight sims have a bad rap right now after the events leading up to the events on 9/11.
I'm sure it'll be weird flying with one of those helmets. Probably feels like you're Wonder Woman in the invisible jet...